Friday, February 6, 2009

To i or not to i

This was my first cellular phone. I got it for my birthday about 75 years ago. It was battleship grey, weighed 20 pounds, had a battery life of 10 minutes, and each phone call cost $27.50. But it was a gadget, and I love gadgets. I was one of a handful of people who carried a phone in my purse, and could call from anywhere (within the coverage area of just over 3 blocks.) Verizon was known back then as AirTouch. We fell in love fast and hard, AirTouch and I. I hauled around that original phone for two years, until my first upgrade, which was smaller, faster, lighter, cheaper... Each time I upgraded, I needed more. More features. More colors. More style. By now I was a junky, hopelessly addicted to the tech.

This is my phone now. As Randy Jackson would say, "It's aiight." It will send and receive calls and texts, takes decent photos like this, and offers all the bells and whistles I have been told I need, like games and music and a GPS navigational system. It has online capabilities. It's orange. It's cute. I should love it. I should.

But it's not an iphone. I'm really longing for an iphone. I want a phone with it's own theme song. I want applications that tell me when to feed the dog and how to do the Running Man. I want touch screens and mp3 players and a shiny shiny chasis.

I can't leave Verizon; I have a family plan which enables my four kids to have their phone service for $10 a month. And our plans are all up at different times, so even if we all switched to ATT&T, it'd cost us a fortune in early cancelation fees. Plus, they'd all think they were entitled to iphones, too. And they'd whine about it until they all got their own. Selfish brats.

There are wars and famine and drought. My home state is facing a financial crisis The Terminator can't bust us out of. But this is what I've chosen to worry about: I'm discontented with my phone.

What a sad, sad little person I am.

3 comments:

lovemyguys said...

Just know that IF you switch, I would NOT want an iphone. I don't like them. Plus, I HATE the service provider you'd have to go to. Been there, done that. Biggest mistake of my cell phone life. Even worse than SPRINT!! And that's saying something!

MamaSue said...

ok. You're not a brat. At least about this.

BluRayn said...

Sue, this post is hilarious! I could've written it except we have Sprint and have been with them for about 10 years now. I've looked at the ATT site and figured and reconfigured how much it'd cost to get the iphone and the monthly service after that. *sigh* I want one, I really do. But, I don't wanna leave Sprint (well, that's not in concrete, just has to be a better deal than what we have now, which we can't find anywhere else right now!!) Good luck! All I can say is I hope Apple decides to diversify the iphone SOON!!!

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed