Saturday, July 5, 2008

Near, far, wherever you are

When I was in the 6th grade, part of our core curriculum included a subject we called music. (I know; I'm very very old.) We performed folk dances like the Virginia Reel, studied great art, and learned songs from all over the world. My favorite was the Canadian national anthem, which I still find myself singing whenever I hear it played. Admittedly, that's not often, but sometimes the random Canadian will win an ice-or-snow-related Olympic event, and I'll start belting out "O Canada, my home and native land."

It never occurred to me that I was avowing my allegiance to a country other than my own. I just really like that kind of loyalist, patriotic song. (Last week I was driving down the 215 singing my high school alma mater at the top of my lungs, but that's another story) This music makes my heart swell, my throat constrict, my eyes mist. You can keep your sappy love songs, and give me a marching band and a rousing version of Hail to the Chief.

This weekend, the Praise Ensemble is singing God Bless America, as recorded by French-Canadian Celine Dion. I wonder if she ponders the irony of singing a blatantly pro-USA song, or if she --like me-- simply loves to sing that kind of bold, strongly nationalistic, lump-in-the-throaty kind of music.

Blue and white we hold before us
As our song we raise
O Ramona, alma mater of our high school days

((sob))

3 comments:

Allison said...

Bethany and I sing our Alma Maters ALL the time...and people look at us like we're crazy!

lovemyguys said...

Between the months of October and June you can hear the Canadian National Anthem a lot. You just need to watch more hockey!!

MamaSue said...

Allison -- Bethany didn't have an alma mater in the true lump-in-the-throat sense of the term. She had a fight song that masqueraded as an alma mater.

Sarah -- You're right! I could at least watch the first few minutes while the Canucks or Maple Leafs (Leaves?) or Blue Jays saluted their flag, then wander away to play Mah Jong.

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed