Saturday, October 13, 2007

The end is near...


I'm on #7 of 8 CDs in the book I'm currently "reading". I really like the main character, Nelly Cartwright. She's a spunky young woman who finds herself working for Buffalo Bill Cody. She has also known Wild Bill Hickok and Annie Oakley and the Earp Brothers and George Custer. She's smart and sassy, and funny; someone I'm glad to know.
But now the book is nearly over.

I hate this. I get so attached to the people in books, or movies or tv shows, but they always -- always -- leave me! Mary and Rhoda left me. Rory and Loreli left me. Even Harry left me, although he still has a couple of movies in him. I can completely understand how people get hooked on soap operas. Those characters never ever leave. Sure, they sometimes get into terrible yet unusual accidents that leave them in a coma, completely wrapped in bandages, with a series of facial burns which will require extensive plastic surgery, leaving them scarless (those daytime doctors are really good, aren't they?) and looking strangely different. Sometimes, oddly, their eyes have changed color and they are several inches taller. But the point is, they are still there. When I was in college I was hooked on a couple of soaps, but I asked God to heal me of them, and He did. (honest; I also asked Him to heal me of Gemco, and we all know what happened to Gemco) I haven't watched a soap in probably 30 years. But the point is, I know Erica and Vicki/Nicki are still there. And all's right with THAT part of the world.

But Nelly? She's about to leave me. Maybe another hour, and she'll be gone. I'm glad to have known this clever, interesting girl. I won't soon forget her.


I wonder what Luke Spencer is up to these days...

pie count: 9604
clbd: shedding on my new blue bedspread.

2 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

I know what you mean. So many relationships have ended over the years...

That's why you need to write your own book. You'd be able to have the characters live on for as long as you want in the next book in the series you're creating in your mind.

Krista said...

Ooo! A new blue bedspread! I can't wait to see it!

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed