Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Teach Your Children Well...

I've begun making flash card sets for the 3 third grade classes at Mr Roboto's school. The teachers love them, and Mr Roboto thinks his Grammie is the coolest ever. Here's my process...


1. First I go to the Santa Maria-Bonita Unified School District web page (a treasure trove!) and get the list of vocab words based on each reading unit.


2. Sometimes I use their choices of images (eh) but usually I go to Google images to find really cool pictures that illustrate the word. This is the most fun, and most time-consuming part. It's like when you have to look something up in the encyclopedia, and you get immersed in reading interesting little-known facts that you have to share with anyone who will listen, and then you forget what you originally wanted to research. (btw, yes, I did sing The Encyclopedia song as I typed that word...twice)


3. I import it all to PowerPoint, make one slide per photo and one slide per definition. I also make a slide of the book cover and one of the author and illustrator. I print these out, 4 to a page, and trim them just outside the frame.


4. I choose a bright paper color, and cut backings for each word. Of course I am OCD-ish enough that I want the color to coordinate with the book jacket.


5. Next I put the definition on one side, and the photo on the other side, and run them thru the laminator. While I'm doing this, I'm getting a little taste of my dream job: playing with the machines at Kinkos


6. I trim them, then use a pair of nail clippers to nip away each sharp corner. (Did I mention being OCD-ish?) Punch a hole, add a split ring, and voila! A learning tool for the classroom.

Fun, pretty, utilitarian, and it satisfies my Kinkos itch.

1 comment:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

I'll bet you are loved by the teacher, kids, and your own g'kid. You are a star!

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed