Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Addendum to the previous post...for Elissa

I once had a housekeeper ... ah, those were the good old days, my friends ... who came to clean my house each week while I was gone to Bible Study Fellowship. When I'd get home, there would be several securely tied black plastic bags lined up by the trash cans waiting for Garbage Eve when I would schlep them out to the curb for pick up. Only once did I question her about the contents.

"Don't look," she said. "You'll be happier not knowing."

I took that advice. I never did look, and I honestly believe I'm a happier woman today because of it.

I've attempted to apply that philosophy to The Boxes; you know, the ones we moved to the last house, kept in the garage (unopened) for 25 years, then moved to this house (6 years ago), and haven't yet opened? The ones that keep Mission Grove Storage in business? I want to apply the "don't look" method of housekeeping to them, and just get rid of them without even a glance inside. But it doesn't always work out well.

One year I took several of those boxes and, without looking inside, added them to the rummage sale pile, took them to church and drove away wearing a self-satisfied smile. Two days later I had to buy back my old love letters from Robbie McInteer, who was at that time an obnoxious teenager.

Now I check before I load the rummage sale boxes. Those love letters are still in there somewhere, and I bet Robbie's price has gone up considerably.

1 comment:

Kay said...

sigh...you and Erma Bombeck...i can SO relate!

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed