Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Eye --and ear!-- opening

Isn't it weird how you can sing a song for years and years, and never really pay attention to the lyrics?

I am a child of the '60s, and therefore a certifiable devotee of all things Beatles. Well, except during the final few pre-Yoko years, when George discovered the sitar, and they added at least one of his weird non-songs to each album. Thankfully, it was also during that period that Ringo must have stomped his little foot and demanded that they include some of HIS 'songs', too. So on your Best Of album right after Within You/Without You, we might find Yellow Submarine. Oh, you silly, silly boys.

Anyway, a few years ago I was happily singing along (in perfect harmony, thank you) to an all-Beatles weekend. The Fab Four and I were rockin' Little Girl when it suddenly occurred to me that we were threatening to KILL our girlfriend! Exhibit One:

You better run for your life if you can, Little Girl
Hide your head in the sand, Little Girl
Catch you with another man, that's the end
Little Girl

Wow, really? How did I never hear that? Then my friend Bill pointed out this little nugget:

Bang! Bang!
Maxwell's silver hammer came down on his head
Bang! Bang!
Maxwell's silver hammer made sure...

You'll have to finish it for yourself. I can't go on...

I have to go find my Monkees albums now.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Really? When you think about it, most songwriting comes from a pretty emotional experience. If Bernie Taupin had chosen the music for his lyrics I bet the songs would have been pretty depressing! Fortunately for him someone connected him with Elton John!

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed