Monday, September 24, 2007

Searching for a melody

I wrote a song. It's about the seasons in a woman's life. I dreamed this thing, then woke up and wrote it down. Verses, bridges, choruses...a whole entire song! OK, that's not strictly accurate. I don't have any music for it, so I guess what I actually have here is a poem. Apparently, I am Rodgers but not Hammerstein; Lerner but not Loewe. Can you help me out here?

1. What to wear, can’t find a thing/frizzy hair, and static cling
Late for work, I think I lost my keys
Working lunches, business plans/memos, emails, traffic jams
Customers impossible to please

Starbucks coffee, micro chips/rubber bands and paper clips
Muzak is so loud I cannot think
Pay roll and computer screens/angry bosses, fax machines
The paper’s jammed, the printer’s out of ink

My life has spun out of control, I’ve fallen deep into a hole
I take a breath, and I remember what to do

I run to You, I run to You
My life’s pedantic, frantic ‘til I run to You
This day can’t get the best of You
No matter what I have to do
You hold my hand and walk me through
I run to You

2. Diaper pails and runny nose/sticky fingers, dress up clothes
Can’t remember if I made the bed
Peanut butter, Dr Seuss /Cheerios and apple juice
Sponge Bob’s theme is running through my head

Mommy, where’s my sippy cup/Mom, the toilet’s backing up
What’s for dinner? I don’t have a plan
Piles of laundry, never done/need to make a Target run
Wake up tired, do it all again

I like to think my race is won; I won’t admit to anyone
I’m going under, then remember what to do

I run to You, I run to You
I’m feeling harried, buried
Then I run to You
I leave the chaos and the noise
Of dirty faces, bikes and toys
You share my heartaches and my joys
I run to You


3. The house is quiet, so’s my head/there’s time to read, and make the bed
The laundry and the dishes all are done
The kids have grown and left the nest/They say this time of life is best
They say it’s time to care for Number One

But I miss my mom and miss my dad/I miss my kids, the times we had
And my heart aches for those who’ve come and gone
Love my grandkids, love my friends/love the times I have with them
Why then, do I feel so all alone?

I know You love me desperately; I know You have a plan for me
And once again I am reminded what to do

I run to You; I run to You
When life feels shattered, tattered
I can run to You
No matter what I face today
You’re there to lead me all the way
If I will only stop and pray
And run to You

I know You love me desperately;
I know You have a plan for me
Lord, here's my life, and willingly
I run to You

2 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Amazing. Amazing. I read this earlier today, and did not know what to post, it so touched me on a personal level. I still don't.
Incredible.

Jessica (Probst) Eveland said...

thank you

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed