Thursday, September 20, 2007

Is this modern classroom management?

I could use some insight from the teacher-y crew. I've worked in C-Monkey's kinder class twice, and this has been the case both times.

There is a little guy in the class we'll call Dustin. During the time of day where the kids are all working on projects at the various tables, he is up and about with the rest of the class. But during rug time, he is all alone, at a table clear across the room, and is even facing the opposite wall. The rug is on the other side of the room, behind a room divider, and the teacher sits with her back to the divider. There is no way Dustin can even see the rug, much less see (or hear!) the teacher, because he's about 15 feet away, and facing the opposite direction. This is the time she's reading books, teaching letter sounds, etc.

My heart is breaking for Dustin. He's not nearly the naughtiest boy in the class. He's a typical squirrely little 5-year-old boy whose teacher has isolated him to the point of his not being included in her teaching time. I don't know why this is happening, and I don't know if it's my place to ask her about someone else's kid's behavior issues. But my heart breaks for Dustin, and I need some advice...

4 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

I remember that you said it was a long term sub in another post.... is this still the case?

Jessica (Probst) Eveland said...

This isn't right! My heart is sad for Dustin. She is setting him up for defeat for his educational career.

He needs to hear about his gold. Dustin needs to hear what is good about Dustin. His destiny needs to be called forth. He is a good kid, he is a good student, he is smart, he does belong. Prophecy God's truth.

I don't know if anything could be done about the teacher but I know that the Lord has put you and Dustin together for a reason.

MamaSue said...

yes, this is still the long term sub, and I don't know when the "real teacher" is coming. Yesterday I asked C-Monkey if HE ever had to sit at the table all alone, and he said, "Yes, when I am a bad boy." I said, "You are NEVER a bad boy. Do you mean when you have trouble with talking too much?" and he said yes. So I am going to talk to the teacher about it. If this is her idea of how to keep peace in her classroom, she needs more help than one grammie coming in one day a week can provide. And Jess, you are right; you know I am speaking truth and love over Dustin everytime I see him. I am Grammie; hear me roar.

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Yessssss. "It is not good for man to be alone" see... it is even in the Bible :)

site counter

Powered By Blogger

Me (blah blah blah)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed